FREE Safety Inspections for Caravans and RVs!
Caravan Trade Industry Association of Victoria and Everything Caravan & Camping announce upcoming joint initiative – FREE Safety Inspections for caravans and RVs!
The Caravan Trade Industry Association of Victoria and Everything Caravan &
Camping have established a joint initiative to provide scheduled ‘ FREE safety
inspections ’ for caravans and RVs along with other stakeholders and industry
experts. This initiative is the result of both organisations prioritising the safety of all
recreational vehicle users and the broader public.
Mr Rob Lucas, CEO, Caravan Industry Association of Victoria (CIA VIC) stated that they are extremely happy to be working with Matt Sutton and the team from Everything Caravan & Camping to address major concerns regarding caravan and RV safety as a first for the caravan industry in Victoria. These scheduled FREE safety inspection days will be conducted to check customer’s caravans and RVs to better educate them on their caravan or RV and advise them of potential issues.
They are excited to announce that their inaugural ‘Free safety inspection’ days will be held at their upcoming show, Melbourne Leisurefest on Wednesday 4th and Thursday 5th October at Sandown Racecourse, however all inspections must be pre-booked and confirmed. This show is their second largest caravan show with over 32,000 attending every year for the past four years. The decision to hold their first safety days at this show was to maximise the exposure of this initiative and allows to capture feedback from consumers to assist with planning future safety days.
Over the past three years safety inspection days have been conducted by Caravanning Queensland (CIA VIC’s state equivalent) to great success with safety days held at over ten geographic locations throughout the year. The Victorian initiative is based on this successfully implemented program.
As part of the Association’s strategy to better educate the industry and consumers through their National Caravan Industry Training College, which is continuing to go from strength to strength within the industry – the next stage of focus is consumer education. They hope that by coordinating these FREE safety inspection days it will be the first step towards clearer and consistent consumer messaging from the industry.
The day will be structured to inspect one caravan every 30 minutes with their target to inspect 30 caravans and RVs over the two-day period. All inspections need to be pre-booked and confirmed by CIA VIC, any that are unable to be inspected during these two days will go onto a waiting list for the next scheduled safety inspection day.
There are five (5) stages of inspection, being:
- Weights (Victorian Police, VicRoads and Everything Caravan & Camping) – check weights of tow vehicle and caravan to ensure correct and educate;
- Plumbing and Gas (EnergySafe Victoria and Victorian Building Authority) – check appliances, lines, regulations (ignition sources e.g. caravan movers), vents, combustible materials to close to burners, butane burners to ensure correct and educate;
- Electrical (EnergySafe Victoria) – check extension leads / cables (e.g. 15amp), electrical equipment, battery systems, solar systems, internal electrical equipment to ensure correct and educate;
- Caravan inspection (Service Safe Accredited Companies) – check dimensions, structural (chassis and body) to ensure correct and educate;
- Connection between vehicle and caravan (Hyman Reese) – check connection and demonstrate correct ‘hooking up’.
Register your caravan for a safety inspection TODAY!
To learn more on CIA VIC visit their website!
To find out more on Everything Caravan & Camping visit their website!